Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Turtle-Shaped Box

A Turtle-Shaped Box by Daniel Bailey

I had a dream the other day
That you'd driven me to madness-
Obviously I coudn't tell it was a dream-
I dreamt that, in frustration and despair,
I pulled the broken heart from my chest
Half of it I sauteed with mushrooms,
Garnished with asparagus
And partook my own Last Supper,
The other half I UPS-ed to you,
Its former owner.
I admit
(you always know when I'm lying anyway),
A small piece I saved,
To appease the sniveling, sentimental moron
Inside me who still hopes you'll come back,
And I put that piece in a turtle-shaped box
On my chest of drawers.
This was symbolic-
Some people used to believe that
the Earth was held up by a great turtle-
You were my world..but not any more.
I woke up with a strange feeling of pleasure
But I was just as mirerable as when
I had brushed my teeth and gotten into bed the night before.
I wished my dream was real-
You can't live without a heart,
It's very similar to trying to
Live without you.
I wish I was an ostrich so
I could bury my head in the ground.

No comments: